Teddy bear in a corridor

10 Interesting Self-Storage Statistics

Self-storage is an interesting concept to think about: humans pay to store their items to make space for more items. It can make you ask: Why do we have so much stuff? Why can’t we let these tangible items go? Sell them? Or recycle them? If there’s anything that the self-storage industry shows us, it’s that Americans have a hard time parting ways with their belongings. One reason is because we often develop an emotional connection with our items– the old record player, ugly lamp from Aunt Peggy, the treasure chest from a great grandmother. When you revisit these items, they trigger a memory that helps us recall the past. And then there’s always the thought: ‘What if I need this again in the future?’ The relationships people form with their belongings can be just as complex and interesting as the ones that are formed with other humans. This is one reason why the self-storage industry has become so large and popular. To investigate more of the wild world of self-storage, we pulled several interesting facts to highlight the industry’s growth– and the human need to hold on.

Self-Storage Statistics

#1: In the U.S., 65% of self-storage renters have a garage in their home, 47% have an attic, and 33 percent have a basement. This suggests that Americans have more things than their homes allow them. #2: More than $3.5 billion in property taxes have been paid to local government authorities by self-storage companies. #3: Self-storage facilities in the U.S. have employed more than 170,000 persons which averages 3.5 employees per facility. #4: In 2015, 90% of self-storage units nationwide were occupied, leaving only 10% vacant. #5: In 2014, there were nearly 48,500 primary self-storage facilities in the country. That’s an average of nearly 900 per state. #6: An average of 4,000 of these are multi-story facilities. Many companies value building up. #7: 52% of the nation’s self-storage facilities are located in the suburbs. 32% are in cities, and only 16% are in rural areas. #8: Every American could stand under the rooftop of every self-storage facility at the same time. #9: But only 8.96% of American households currently rent a self-storage unit. Popular renters are businesses and military personnel. #10: Combine three Manhattan islands, and that’s less than the country’s total self-storage rentable space. Despite what these statistics suggest about consumerism, one thing is certain: people need to store their items. People have too much stuff. If you’re one of them, contact Boxbee Storage to learn more about on-demand storage. Sources: Self-Storage Association Statistic Brain